Our Present (Coronavirus) Moment
Nevertheless, our mission does not change. We exist to see all peoples become wholehearted followers of Jesus Christ. We seek to fulfill this mission to the glory of God, the Father, and in reliance upon the Holy Spirit. In that light, we will drive to be the church. With that in mind, then, allow me to share some thoughts about our ministry together in this present (coronavirus) moment.
We ARE the church – regardless of culture, situation, or circumstance – we are the instrument of Jesus’ eschatological ingathering.
- In the last 2,000 years, the church has faced many troubling times, including pandemics – this is NOTHING new the church has faced, and it did not catch Jesus by surprise,
- The driving question for us as elders during this moment has been, “How do we continue to be the church?”
- We spent time thinking over Scriptures that would guide our thinking.
- Then, we sought to sketch out a pastoral care and ministry plan.
First, the elders sought to care for you, our members, as best as we could.
- We began meeting each week to address the flood of information coming from medical and governing authorities.
- We increased the number of families we contacted each week in order to get through the membership in four weeks.
- Thankfully, the Lord was gracious to High Pointe, and you all responded well to the pandemic and quarantine.
- We have rejoiced in all the stories that showed your love for one another in the way that you cared for each other.
- We have resumed our regular meeting schedule and our pastoral care plan.
Second, the elders sought to continue the ministries of the church.
- Though we could not meet for a period of time, we sought to continue feeding the flock of God among us, as we are tasked to do by our Lord Jesus – providing weekly home worship guides, and daily devotionals on our Facebook page.
- Now that we can meet, we are seeking to gather the church in a safe manner to exalt Jesus Christ and edify one another – for those who are willing, comfortable, and able.
- NOTE: As cases of Covid-19 continue to spike, we will continue asking you to wear masks during service.
- FYI - No July preaching series, but, our other pastors will preach in July
- August, Lord willing, we will begin our study of Ephesians.
- We will continue to provide a livestream at 10:00 am for those not comfortable or not ready to meet.
- 20% of our members are 65 + and in the vulnerable population.
- We don’t want anyone to feel that it’s wrong not to gather now.
- If you prefer, gather in small groups in homes to watch livestream.
- We have added technology so that you can see the lyrics on the screen.
- Until the governor issues another stay at home order, we will continue with one Sunday gathering at 10:00 am.
- Thank you for your patience and flexibility!
- You all have been WONDERFUL!!!
- As to when we will resume our normal schedule, we will evaluate when and how will be best.
- August is an arbitrary date in our minds.
- Due to the spike in Covid-19 cases in Travis County, we may have to be even more patient.
- In an effort to strengthen church-wide communications and to allow for even easier access to our media and ministry resources, we are presently working on an application you can download to your phone.
- The app is ready, we’re just waiting on approval from Apple App Store.
- As soon as it’s ready, we will announce it, and you will be able to download it to your phone or device.
- Life Groups – the elders are NOT asking Life Groups to meet, but LGs can meet creatively if group members are willing, comfortable, and able.
- Take the necessary precautions to avoid the spread of Covid-19.
- The best thing you can do as a church is continue to encourage one another with God’s Word, praying for each other and being with each other as opportunity permits.
- As it relates to evangelism, continue praying for your ONE and seek ways to have gospel conversations – this is a time of opportunity!
Third, the elders are continuing long-range, strategic planning.
- This pandemic will pass, and we want to be ready for what the Lord has ahead for High Pointe.
- The Lord will continue to build his church – nothing will stand against him.
- And, the Lord will continue his work through High Pointe as he pleases.
- In spite of Covid-19, the Lord allowed us to add 8 new members.
- In spite of Covid-19, the Lord allowed us to add a new staff member.
- Dan Lisa will serve as our new student ministry coordinator.
- Frankie – moving to Miami beginning of July.
- Scott – moving to Boston beginning of August.
- Keston – has one more year before he moves on.
- In spite of Covid-19, the Lord has allowed us to move forward on elder candidates.
- We hope to present at least one candidate, maybe more, at our next members’ meeting in August.
- In spite of Covid-19, we continue to have visitors who are interested in becoming members at High Pointe.
- We will resume our membership classes beginning on July 11.
- In spite of Covid-19, we press on with our 2020 theme: Preparing for Growth.
Our 2020 Theme: Preparing for Growth
- Pray that the Lord would give the elders wisdom as we continue our work on long-range, strategic planning through The Vine Project in order to prepare us for growth, under the Spirit's guidance in 2020 and beyond.
- Pray that the Lord would move all of us to engage with our unbelieving family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and colleagues and evangelize faithfully that they may become worshippers of Jesus Christ. Who’s your one? | The one person you are praying for and hoping to share the gospel with.
- Pray that the Lord would continue to grow our culture of discipleship so that we would establish one another in the faith.
- Pray that the Lord would grant much fruit from our equipping ministries like the High Pointe Institute and Lay Counselor Training.
Other Prayer Requests
- Pray for Glenn and Melissa Wood regarding the death of Glenn's father, Bob.
- Pray for wisdom and justice for the Smiths and the joint land venture.
- Pray for the Lord’s continued grace through your generosity and the reduction of our remaining debt.
Dear Pastor and Elders,
Thank you so much for faithfully overseeing the body! We will be praying for each other and you all as well that God will navigate us through this to bring us to that good end that glorifies His Son drawing many into His Kingdom.